01 May Wellness Wisdom – Women’s Health
On the second Sunday of May, we celebrate and honor the most important women in our lives our mothers. On this day we give flowers, treats, and meals to show how much we love them and appreciate them. The Health Ministry is encouraging everyone this Mother’s Day to make the women in their life a priority. Join us for National Women’s Health Week. It starts the day of Mother’s Day (May 13) and lasts for a week. This is a reminder to women to take care of themselves and their health. You can help her take care of herself with 5 basic steps.
1. Pay attention to what she eats—focus on foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and lean proteins.
2. Get moving—a sedentary lifestyle sets the stage for weight gain and major health problems. Team up together to walk, run or bike several days a week.
3. Relieve stress—how you feel impacts your health, long-term stress can raise your risk of de-pression, anxiety, obesity, heart disease and other health problems. Help her find ways to keep calm.
4. Go to the doctor—encourage or go with her to the doctor, and don’t be shy, ask the hard questions about medications, family planning, pain, weight gain/loss, depressing anxiety etc.
5. Smart decisions— Remind her to wear her seat belt, stop smoking, practice safe sex, and any other decisions that may help keep her safe on a day to day basis.
While you are celebrating Mother’s Day, pledge with her to take steps to a healthier lifestyle. Also, share with family and friends. It will encourage and bless them. For more information about women’s health, visit www.womenshealth.gov/nwhw
Happy Mother’s Day!
Written by LaVella Head