The Senior Saint for Fellowship Bible Baptist Church for the Month of November 2020 (VETERANS’ RECOGNITION / APPRECIATION) is Deacon Gary Sims.
Deacon Sims was born on November 11, 1961 in Milledgeville, Georgia. He is married to Sister Judy Sims of Valdosta, Georgia. They have been married for 34 years and are the proud parents of a Daughter, Kristen – 29 years old and a Son, Kristopher, age 23.
Deacon Gary identifies his hobbies and interests as reading, watching sports, especially basketball and football and walking.
• I asked him to briefly tell us about his career and activities at Fellowship: “I joined the Air Force immediately after High School, served 23 years in the Fuels Management career field. I retired from the Air Force, and taught AF Junior ROTC Aerospace Science in Macon, Ga for 11 years. I started working on Robins AFB in 2013 as a Fuels Specialist, then as an Environmental Protection Specialist, I now work as an Environmental Biological Scientist, in Environmental Management. At Fellowship, I have served on the Greeters Ministry, and currently serve as a Christian Enrichment teacher, on the Finance Committee, and Deacon Ministry.”
• How has your career molded you as a person? – “All the various careers, and experiences have taught me that, I can excel at whatever I choose to do, if I’m walking in my God’s ordained purpose in life. “
• What are the most important lessons you’ve learned in life? Commit yourself to God, prioritize your family, work hard at whatever you do, and have fun in life.
• How would you like to be remembered? As someone who loved to laugh and have fun but was serious about life.
• What is your message (words of wisdom) for Generations X, Y and Z? Do something in life that you love doing and do it well.
• What is your special scripture? Proverbs 16:9 ‘A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.’
Written by Elder Isaiah Whittaker, Sr.