It is a new year and most of you are thinking about what new year resolution you are doing this year. Here is a suggestion: get health screenings and exams done this year! As you start to plan out how you are going to lose this unwanted holiday pounds or which room in your house you are remodeling why not add a health screening or exam to the list? Going to the doctor each year for an update to update your vitals is a good way to stay on top of your overall health. The doctor will look at your weight, height, blood sugar levels, blood pressure and cholesterol which are common items that your doctor may measure during your exam. There may be an elevation in your blood pressure and more test may be needed before condition becomes worse.
An annual physical can include things like:
- A comprehensive physical exam catered to your age, gender and other risk factors
- EKG to check heart health
- Examination of Respiratory health
- Skin screening to check for dermatological health
- Lab test, including blood count and cholesterol
- BMI—body mass index testing
- Other screening for age and gender appropriate for cancer risk factors.
Regular health exams and tests can help find problems before they start. They also can help find problems early, when your chances for treatment and cure are better. By getting the right health services, screenings, and treatments, you are taking steps that help your chances for living a longer, healthier life.
Please consult with your Primary Doctor on your annual exam. If you do not have a Primary Doctor you can contact the Houston County Volunteer Medical Clinic, 125 Russell Parkway, Warner Robins, Ga 31088, 478-923-9730.
Written by LaVella Head