If you ask any Member of Fellowship Bible Baptist Church who was the “First Man” on earth, the answer would be without a doubt: “Adam.” If you ask the same members who was the “First Man” to join Fellowship Bible Baptist Church, there would be more misses than correct answers. FBBC Spotlight this month focuses on Our First Adam, Deacon James E. Spyies. He was born on August 2, 1938 in Leesburg, Florida, and is married to Gladine (Hunter) Spyies (for 38 years). He believes each year gets sweeter and sweeter. Brother Spyies is the father of a son, Carlos, and two daughters, Brandi and Jimmille. The Spyies’ Family also own the title as “the First FBBC Family” to join Fellowship over 35 years ago.
Brief snapshot of our First Adam:
- His hobbies and interests are-fishing and traveling with family.
- James E. Spyies retired from the USAF after 20 years of distinguished service. During his career in the military, he spent several years overseas; with two tours of Duty in Vietnam.
- He stated that life in the military gave him many opportunities that he would not have experienced. It taught him to be disciplined and it also prepared him for his future career after military life.
- After his military career, he worked with the Georgia Department of Corrections and retired as a Lt. of Corrections for The Georgia Department of Corrections.
- Brother Spyies has served FBBC for over 35 years. During this time, he served as Sunday School Teacher, Choir member, Board of Trustee, janitor, deacon and in any other capacity needed.
Personal comments: “The most important lesson I learned is that during my most sinful state in life, God accepted me as I was and began the cleaning process. He has taught me to be faithful, truthful, and a man of my word. “ “I would like to be remembered as a man of God who was a good husband, good father, and a loyal member.” Words of Wisdom: “Put God first in your life. Always be punctual, ethical and have faith in God. Finally, let nothing stop you from pursuing your dream.”