“For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds.” (2 Corinthians 10:4 KJV)
A healthy diet and lifestyle are your best weapons for your fight against Heart Failure, Obesity, Diabetes and other diseases. Eating is necessary for surviv-al, of course, but it is also one of the great joys of life. We so love to eat that we give our meals a social function. We enjoy our families and friendships around tables full with good things to eat. However, our pleasure of eating sometimes becomes our peril. Here are some basics:
- Use healthy oils (like olive and Canola oil) for cooking, on salad, and at the table. Limit butter. Avoid trans-fat.
- The more veggies and the greater the variety the better. Potatoes and French fries don’t count.
- Eat plenty of fruits of all colors.
- Drink water, tea or coffee (with little or no sugar). Limit milk/diary (1-2 servings/day) and juice (1 small glass/day) Avoid sugary drinks.
- Eat a variety of whole grains (like whole-wheat bread, whole-grain pasta, and brown rice). Limit refined grains (like white rice and white bread).
- Choose fish, poultry, beans, and nuts, limit red meat and cheese; avoid bacon, cold cuts, and other processed meats.
- Small plates equal smaller portions
In addition to eating healthy, regular physical activity is important for your overall health and fitness. Small changes can make a big difference in fighting the stronghold of Obesity, Diabetes, High Cholesterol and other diseases that can be controlled by what you eat.
By Lavella Head