02 May Happy Mother’s Day
On the second Sunday of May we celebrate and honor one of the most important women in our lives our Mother. On this day we give flowers, treats, meals, etc. to show how much we love them and appreciate them.
On this day and for the Month of May the Health Ministry is encouraging everyone to make the women or women in your life a priority. Whether she is your mom, stepmom, aunt, cousin, neighbor or friend join us by encouraging her to look at herself and her health. National Women’s Health Week is May 9th -15th. It is never too early or too late to make healthy changes to feel and look better.
Here are 5 basic steps to get a conversation going:
1. Pay attention to what she eats—focus on foods like vegetables, fruits, whole
grains and lean proteins.
2. Get moving—a sedentary lifestyle sets the stage for weight gain and major health problems. Team up together to walk, run or bike several days a week.
3. Relieve stress—how you feel impacts your health, long-term stress can raise your risk of depression, anxiety, obesity, heart disease and other health problems.
4. Go to the Doctor—encourage or go with her to the doctor, and don’t be shy, ask the hard questions about, medications, family planning, pain, weight gain/loss, depressing anxiety etc.
5. Smart Decision—wear your seat belt, stop smoking, safe sex.
Share these steps with family and friends to encourage and bless them. For more information, go to www.womenshealth.gov/nwhw
Written by LaVella Head